PHP is an open-source, interpreted and object-oriented scripting language that can be executed on the server-side. PHP is well suited for web development. Therefore, it is used to develop a web application (an application that executes on the server and generates a dynamic page.
PHP was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 but appeared in the market in 1995. PHP 7.4.0 is the latest version of PHP , released on 28 November . Some important points about PHP need to be noted:
- PHP stands for hypertext preprocessor.
- PHP is an interpreted language, that is, there is no need for compilation.
- PHP is faster than other scripting languages, for example, ASP and JSP.
- PHP is a server-side scripting language, which is used to manage the dynamic content of a website.
- PHP can be embed in HTML.
- PHP is an object-oriented language.
- PHP is an open-source scripting language.
- PHP is simple and easy to learn.
Why use PHP?
PHP is a server-side scripting language, which is used to design dynamic web applications with MySQL databases.
- It handles session tracking for dynamic content, databases as well as websites.
- You can create a session in PHP.
- It can access the cookies variable and can also set cookies.
- This helps to encrypt data and implement validation.
- PHP supports many protocols such as HTTP, POP3, SNMP, LDAP, IMAP and many more.
- Using the PHP language, you can control the user for access to certain pages of your website.
- Since PHP is easy to install and set up, this is the main reason that PHP is the best language to learn.
- PHP can handle forms, such as – collecting data from users using –forms, save it in the database and return useful information to the user. For example – registration form
Features of PHP?
PHP is a very popular language due to its simplicity and open source. Features of php Below are some important features of PHP:
- Performance: PHP scripts are executed much faster than scripts that are written in other languages such as JSP and ASP. PHP uses its own memory, so server workload and loading time are automatically reduced, resulting in faster processing speed and better performance.
- Open Source: PHP Soure code and software are available free on the web. You can develop all versions of PHP according to your requirement without paying any cost. All its components are free to download and use.
- Familiarity with Syntax: PHP’s easily understandable syntax. The programmer is comfortable coding with it.
- Embedded: PHP code can easily be embedded within HTML tags and script.
- Platform Independent: PHP is available for Windows, Mac, Linux and UNIX operating systems. A PHP application developed in one OS can be easily executed in other OS as well.
- Database Support: PHP supports all major databases such as MySQL, SQLite, ODBC, etc.
- Error Reporting – PHP has predefined error reporting to generate error information or warnings at runtime. Eg, E_ERROR, E_WARNING, E_STRICT, E_PARSE.
- Support Web Servers: PHP is compatible with almost all the local servers of today like Apache, Netscape, Microsoft IIS, etc.
- Security: PHP is a secure language for developing websites. It has multiple layers of protection to prevent thread and malicious attacks.
- A Helpful PHP Community: It has a large community of developers who regularly update documentation, tutorial, online help and frequently asked questions.